Website Analytics Report with GA4 & Looker Studio
Copying Report and Connecting GA4
Video reference: From the beginning to 1:31.
Video reference: From 1:31 to 3:19.
- Select File, then Report Settings.
- In the Report Settings panel confirm the Data source displays the property.
- Scroll down to Filter. Select the pencil for the Report Filter. Replace pullman.wsu.edu with the property’s hostname found in GA4. Update the Filter Name as well.
- You can remove the Hostname Filter if you don’t need it. But it won’t hurt to have it there as long as the hostname used is the one used in the property.
- Close the Reports Settings panel.
- Select Resources, then Manage Blends. (These Blends compile two pieces of data into one and are used for the New vs Returning Users pie charts on Page 1 and Page 6. More information about Blends.) You might need to open Manage Blend again after updating one of the blends.
- For GA4 new vs returning users
- On the Blends page select Edit for GA4 new vs returning users.
- On the Blend Data make sure Table 1 and Table 2 have the data source selected. Some of the Dimensions and Metrics are custom equations (Fx).
- Select Close.
- For Campaign: GA4 new vs returning users
- On the Blends page select Edit for Campaign: GA4 new vs returning users.
- On the Blend Data make sure Table 1 and Table 2 have the property selected. Some of the Dimensions and Metrics are custom equations (Fx).
- Scroll down to Filters. Make sure the Session Campaign: Exludes Filters are used.
- Select Close.
Page 5 Top Views by Region: Washington Map
Final Updates to the Report
- Update the Report name. Copy of Copy this Template Report OG is a pretty ridiculous name.
- Update the Site Title. Updating the Site Title on one page will update it on all pages. The Site Title is a report-level item.
Other Pages in the Report
Page 7: Terminology
The terminology contains some definitions used within the report
Page 8: Style
These are just some handy notes for consistent formatting in the report.
In addition, the Theme and Layout uses WSU brand colors and should be readily available with editing a Chart’s Style.
Page 9: Gridlines
Use these gridlines to help with the alignment of charts in the report. Select the gridlines and right-click for the secondary menu to appear. Select Make report-level. Reverse the procedure (Make page-level) to remove them from the rest of the pages.